Friday, March 05, 2010
The Fluency of Corn
When I was a teen-ager I dreamed of getting out of there. The dreams were filled with big cities, exciting jobs and fascinating people. I saw myself there in the gleaming city, dancing, working, loving and living the life I knew I was destined for. I did not see myself staying there in that town surrounded by corn, stifled by it, drowned among it, wasted by the corn. So it shocks me each time I pull off the express way to visit my parents, how it draws me in that corn; the smell of it, the sound of it, the look of it as the moonlight bounces off the glistening ears. It sometimes creeps into my dreams the way the city did before I lived in it, luring me back to that town I swore I would leave forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Comforting to know that some things never change.
Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? You end up nostalgic for the very things you hated when you were young. Just goes to show you - wherever you go, there you are...
A unique take on the prompt! Love it!
i agree with STan.
it sure is comfortin!
Frantic Fluency
It was especially meaningful for me, because of the name of your little town. I drive there every day. It's like a teeny paradise bubble in the bottom of a plumber's level on the prairie.
Post a Comment