Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Book

I read it for the first time when I was 12. It changed everything. It opened my eyes and made me realize that the world was not the place I had thought. She kept it hidden in a secret comparmtent in the bottom drawrer of her dresser. When I found it, I knew that I should not read it, but I could not resist. It shattered me into a million pieces. Over the years I would sneak it out and read it over and over. I am sure she never knew for if she had she would have seen that I looked at her differently. She would have seen it in my eyes. She would have seen that I no longer looked at her as just "Mom". On that day when I was 12 and read all her secrets, she became more to me, she became flesh and blood, an actual woman. It changed everything.

3 comments:

Denise Moncrief said...

Thanks for sharing! It's always eye-opening--and disturbing--to learn that moms are more than mothers.

robkistner said...

pivotal life moment, and powerful...
...rob
Image & Verse

Dee Martin said...

The whole weird time of life when daughters begin to grow up and mothers become human - it really is different for sons. They continue to see mom as mommy all their lives. It's also such an alone time for a girl I think - I see in this, that feeling.