Friday, August 08, 2008

When they asked

When they asked me if I knew I told them no. But I was lying and they never guessed. I never figured I could be such a good actress, but I was. When they asked I told them I did not know and I got away with it. All of it. I never figured it would be so easy but it was, in the past I had always answered questions truthfully so I never knew the power of not answering, it was liberating. That was ten years ago and I have not looked back once. I have become such a good liar that I am sometimes not even sure what is a lie and what is not. And to think it all started with the simple question, " Lily, sweetie, do you know who drew on the wall with red crayon?"

5 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

There is a certain humor here at the end but overall, much sadness. And, regret perhaps?.

danni said...

great turn-around piece - so good at lying that you don't know the truth any longer --- i'm sure that's the way it really goes with some people - thought provoking!!!

Patois42 said...

I can honestly -- pun intended -- relate. I think my ability to lie with ease started with answering my mother's question of "Did you eat the popsicles?" with "Why are you asking me?"

Rambler said...

it always starts with a simple question isn't it..profound thoughts have emerged out of them...and its really confusing when it comes to white lies..where do we draw the line

Melody said...

I think when you get away with it in the beginning it does make it much easier as time goes by. Almost like an addiction. I'm not good at it though, it is written all over my face, like the red crayon on the wall.