Friday, April 18, 2008
Composed
She stood in the doorway of the grand ballroom looking for all the world like the most composed women there. She held her head high, her hair was perfectly coiffed, her make-up expertly applied and her dress immaculate. Every one who looked at her envied her composure. She had always looked like this, had always been able to appear as if she had it all together, every minute of every day. But if you had looked deeper on this night you would have seen the slight sheen to her eyes that belied that composure. You would have seen a small speck of blood on her perfect shoes. You would have seen the tightness of her face. If you had looked closer you would have seen that the composure was a mask. A mask she had used well these last twelve years. Twelve years in which she had stalked, caught and tonight killed the perfect husband. Who on his death left her 20 million dollars. Twelve years of composure would soon slip away to reveal the real women she was, but first she had to keep herself composed for one last time and appear like she was the women she claimed to be at this fundraising gala she had organized. Then when her dead husband's body was found in the tragic car accident and once the funeral was over she could take her money and disappear. She could leave behind this boring, composed facade and live the life she was meant to live. Freedom at last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Premeditated murder? Whatever it take for freedom I imagine. Who am I to say?
Solid writing.
oohhh How calculatingly evil! this great story brought to mind the image of Velma Kelley... going on stage right after she brutaly shot her husband!
brrrr! Chilling to the last. I enjoyed it!
What a fascinating twist.
A mystery novel in one paragraph! But why did she wait so long?
But I think they will be able to tell that he was already dead when the car crashed...unless the car has already crashed, somewhere else. Maybe she pushed it off a cliff, but then how did she get to the gala? A story in the making...interesting
Loved it!
I can't believe how similar our stories are on this prompt. We clearly thought along the same lines. I loved it!
As with many infamous husband killers, this could could become a career :-)
Yes! This is similar to Keith's story! Unreal! Yet both create their own very unique tense atmosphere.
Gemma
Well, she is some black widow. I feel the bite. Well done.
I really enjoyed this - I'm still smiling, and that worries me a little even though I don't have an SO.
Hmmm...sounds like an intriguing and complicated character. All in all though, I think if I ever had to become involved with a nut case, I'd rather it be with the woman who compulsively hides her shoes in the fridge.
Post a Comment