Friday, December 28, 2007

Good Times

Now and then I sit and stare out of the window wondering how I got to this place in my life. Once i had been young and carefree; willing to do almost anything for a good time. But things have changed now and I am calmer and more set in my ways. Things I once did now appall me. I lived hard and fast and have the scars and body art to prove it. When your young you think the whole world is your oyster to use a cliched phrase. I really thought I would live that kind of life forever. I was stupid. Now I know that the things we do catch up with us and we will have regrets. But sometimes despite everything I remember myself then and feel a little wistful. Wistful for the beauty, the youth the innocence I had. Now as a sit and stare out of this barred window in this maximum security prison with all the other murders I know that beauty, youth and innocence do not last for ever and if I had been smarter I would have used those things wiser instead of wasting them a good time.

7 comments:

paisley said...

sometimes the prison cell
takes the shape of my own mind....

little wing writer said...

hmm...great stuff..can we all relate to the choices we've made and the bars of our reality...

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, yes. It catches up. Nicely written.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes life chooses all by itself. No help is required from us!

rediscovering

Patois42 said...

Always a pleasure, even if it's a guilty one, to read your words in reaction to the SS prompts.

Anonymous said...

It's good, but do you have anything about a woman who is in the mood for some pizza?

Forgetfulone said...

I wish I could read this to my almost-19 year old step-daughter. If only she knew the choices she makes now will catch up with her later, maybe she would choose differently. But, alas, I made a few poor choices as well. I can really relate to your prose.