
In the spring I was inspired by my friend Alexandra to get back to writing. I had not really been pursuing it recently and she helped me become excited about it again. So I set up one big goal for myself, create a writing corner by the end of the summer. I wanted to find a desk( for cheap since I do work in the non-profit world)and I wanted to paint it a fun color and I wanted to make it a good place to write. I actually accomplished this feat. I got a desk for free from a friend who was moving, I painted it a pale blue and I decorated it with pictures, etc, and I created a good place to write. Above is a terrible picture of the desk, but it will have to do for now. Below is the beginning of a story I am working on at that desk. Thanks Alex.
The dream started like it always had in the past. She was sitting on a tree stump in a lush forest surround by a group of strange, mystical creatures. The centaur was the first to speak. She always listened intently and although she could see his lips moving she could never hear a word of what he was saying. In fact there was no sound at all in the dream and there never had been. She always awoke at the same moment every time, at the point when the creatures began to silently clap in unison. This time though was different she saw the Centaurs lips move and suddenly she could her birds chirping and then rolling like thunder there was a loud roaring coming from across the forest.
She sat bolt upright and grabbed her head to stop the pounding. She was shaking and covered in sweat. She looked around her darkened room as the moonlight danced its way along the floor, waltzing up and touching on the bright blue pendant laying on her dresser, making the eye on the pendant appear to be winking at her.
2 comments:
Heter! Don't stop there! Whats going to happen next? Who's causing all that roaring ruckus? Is it Ronald McDonald? And congrats to you on setting up your writing area! I'm so glad you did that for yourself-and hey! you come two weeks from today to Portland! yay!
Yay -- good for you setting up a special place to write! I think routine + a cozy dedicated spot can really help getting things going. (also, check out this article by Stephen King on "the writing life"; it's great: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/28/AR2006092801398.html
I love the beginning of your story -- it's right up my alley -- and am glad you're writing more! Looking forward to seeing you soon in Portland.
Also, about your last post: amen, sister. My loathing of Bush supporters knows no bounds. I have long thought you have to be either a) an evil, grasping, planet-raping corporate crony, or b) totally uninformed -- to support this regime. Now more than ever.
Post a Comment