Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I am a Chicken


Over the past few weeks I have been thinking of getting my hair cut. I have had basically the same hair for almost ten years now. Above is a picture from 7 years ago and if you look at my profile picture taken in March you can see what I mean. The same hair. So recently I saw a woman with really great hair. It was very short and looked really great. I wanted her hair and I have a hairdresser that I think could easily reproduce this short pixie like cut for me and it would probably look great. I made an appointment for today at Noon. I have cancelled the appointment. I can not do it. Why is hair such a dilemma for us. When I asked a couple people about what they thought about my cutting my hair they visibly winced like I had punched them. It is my hair after all, why would it cause such a reaction from them. Now granted a few people were very supportive. They said things like it is just hair, it will grow back, and they are right. It is just hair, it will grow back, so why did I chicken out. I can not explain it. Fear perhaps? Instead I have decided to just get new glasses.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I had hair down to my ass for a long time. Thick, blonde, thekind of hair people go, "ohhhh, I love your hair!". It made me "you know, that gilr with Long Blonde Hair?"

... So one day I started getting the itch to cute it really short. Like Wyanona Ryder back in the day. Like Linda Evanelista of the late 90's. Like a boy. And I did. I just did it.

And it was SOOO liberating! I gave me nothing to hide behind. It made me actually look at myself-- my real inside self-- in a different way. I was never expecting that, but it was very good for me. Although it is long again (mid back), I kept it short for many years. I think I needed it in some way. And I might do it again someday. If you are feeling a pull to do it, maybe you should! Because it grows back, like you said. But maybe it is something you need to do!

:)

Alex S said...

Well I am very glad you didn't cut your hair because I have written that into our schedule for me to do this weekend! (& hair does grow back but I love your hair!)

Anonymous said...

I love your hair, too Heather. Maybe a little chop, and more time to think about the pixie crop?
You know my stand on it, having had the pixie hair--it can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.
Regardless, I vote for the new glasses we found at Old Orchard. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like long hair. Then again I like short funky hair styles on other people. I don't suit really short hair, though I think there will come a time when I get rid of most of my hair (currently down to my ass) and end up with a short bob. Not for a few years though....