It lay on the table. All of her deep dark secrets contained in the little book. It was lovely to look at with its sparkly flowers embossed on a pale blue background. The only thing keeping those secrets inside was the little lock on the front. To read it would be the greatest violation of her trust, but not to read it would be a lost chance to know everything that went on in her mind. He really wanted to know everything that went on in her mind. He had loved her for as long as he could remember and it was slowly killing him. He never seemed to be able to say the right thing to her to convince her that they were perfect together. So he held the little key in his hand that just may unlock all of his dreams or would it crush them? He was so uncertain. He had never had to face such a dilemma before and he was sure that he would never have to face this kind of dilemma again. He held the key up to the light and watched as the it gleamed. What should he do? He sat for many minutes holding that key trying to decide what he should do. Finally he picked up the diary and took the key and went over to the bedside table. He carefully put the book back in the drawer where he found it and placed the key under the lamp just like she had left it. He left the room, firm in his decision.
20 years later on their 10Th wedding anniversary she gave him a small package. He unwrapped it, expecting to see a watch or some such thing but there folded in the paper was the diary. She leaned over and kissed him as he opened the diary and read the first entry.
Dear Diary,
My brothers friend Steve came over again today. I think I may be in love. He is so funny and smart and handsome. But he is a junior! Do you think a junior and a freshman can date? I really like him! I wonder if he could ever like me!"
Friday, August 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
oh... that was so cute,,, and absolutely what i was writing in my diary at that age!!!!!!
Great piece. I'm so glad he didn't break that intimacy and trust.
diaries = all insecurities for the writer and the reader. A sirary was the first place we learned honesty
Great -- the innocence of youth!
Dilemma was resolved the right way. By keeping her trust. He was finally rewarded for it.
What a heartwarming story of trust and love...loved it!
Looks like they were ideal for each other. Great story.
So very sweet. Wonderful entry.
This was so cute! So true to form for what a teenager would write in her diary!
Awwww. Very sweet, indeed. :)
I loved this SS. Your story compelled me to comment because I recently celebrated my 10yr anniversary. But, I didn't give him my diary. I'm to vocal to keep one. Thank you for sharing such a nice story.
Michelle Johnson
By the way, I'm from Kentucky about 6-8 hours away from Chicago. I found the area to be beautiful when I visited for a Cubs game.
Post a Comment